Friends – there is no time like the present to get a head start on your Halloween decor and crafting. I promise! After seeing The Crafted Sparrow’s striped mason jars a few months back, I was totally inspired to make my own version with a creepy twist. The combination of chalky finish paint plus some awesomely spooky Halloween characters made for a match made in crafty heaven! Want to learn how to make your own Chalky Halloween Mason Jar Luminaries?
pint sized mason jars
Cricut cut file (pint sized) or (quart sized)
transfer tape or adhesive plastic wrap
Americana Chalky Finish Paint in Everlasting, Relic, and Heritage
Americana Creme Wax
battery operated tea light
1. Using the Explore, cut the shapes on the vinyl. It doesn’t matter what color your vinyl is because it will be used as a mask that will be removed in a little.
2. With the Americana Chalky Finish paint in Everlasting, apply one thin coat of paint to each of the jars that you’ll be making. Allow it to dry completely.
3. Carefully apply the vinyl shapes to each of the dried jars. If you’ve never used or applied vinyl before, this is a helpful tutorial to walk you through the basics.
4. After removing the transfer tape, paint over the entire jar with the Americana Chalky Finish paint in either Relic or Heritage, depending on your taste. I painted each jar with three thick coats of paint, making sure to let them dry in between each coat.
5. When your final coat is completely dry, carefully peel away the vinyl to reveal the white paint from underneath.
6. Using a foam brush, apply a light coating of the creme wax to seal the paint. Let it dry completely.
7. Insert the battery operated tealight into the completed jar and enjoy your handiwork!
Aren’t they so fun all lit up? My kids are super obsessed already and keep fighting over which of the four are their favorite.