Drawing a backpack may be an enjoyable task because there are so many wonderful details we could add when designing our own bag. Many may wonder if this is a simple task because the bag is familiar to us.
Well, as long as we have the simple steps to follow, making a vividly colored and lovely bag does not require any hard technique. Continue reading to learn how to draw a school bag.
|Estimate time||35 minutes|
|Drawing materials||Pen, Marker, Crayon, Brush|
|Painting materials||Watercolor, Color pencil, Pastel|
|Surfaces materials||Paper, Canvas|
How to Draw a School Backpack – Step by Step
Step 1: Visualize the bag shape
Let us not be hasty and wing an oddly-shaped bag; instead, we must first imagine the bag shape before drawing it.
A school bag is generally rectangular or a trapezium. So, use your pencil to create these two shapes to help you visualize the bag.
Now, let’s turn them into 3D images by adding lines and showing their different angles.
Step 2: Soften the shapes!
Now, the second exercise we should do before getting started with our own backpack drawing is softening the lines of the 3D rectangular and trapezium we have above.
Using the shapes as a guide, draw softer lines and curves to recreate the rectangular and trapezium shapes.
Take the practice further by changing the angle of the shape slightly to the left or to the right, and draw several soft boxes like that to improve your technique.
A quick tip: The front and the back of your bag looks the same.
Step 3: Draw the basic bag
Forget about other complicated details, you can start by drawing a simple bag. See the image below to follow the easy steps. It should be easy for you after the two exercises above:
- Draw the 3D block in the shape of your choice.
- Soften the lines of the shape (remember, your bag is made of cloth!)
- Now, use your pen to create the outline of the bag
- Then, draw the bag with a front flap.
Step 4: It’s time for the straps, side pockets and more
Things do get easier after practice right? Let’s jump to the final step, where we add details for the school bag:
- Draw a pocket on the side and two long straps on the bag’s back facing you.
- Add lines to emphasize the different parts of the bag
- Draw details and personal designs for your bag. Feel free to add cute decorations to the bag’s side pocket.
- This final step is refining the drawing and erasing all the sketch lines in pencil.
Fianl Step: Some more inspiration
So, it’s back-to-school time, and a bag should not sit alone. You can draw some more and color the bags in the colors you like. Try the following as your exercises:
- Draw the bag’s front facing you and add more design details for the customized bag.
- Choose various colors for different bags. And do not forget about highlights and shades.
- Paint a cheerful background.
Now, start drawing and feel free to share this guide with others! Have fun!